Federal regulation 29CFR1910.1030 states that no employer can place you in a position to be exposed to or cleanup blood or bodily fluids without first:
• Receiving bloodborne pathogen training from an approved trainer.
• Having a written bloodborne pathogen exposure control plan in place.
• Having work practice controls in place to protect employees.
• Having been provided personal protective equipment specific to the job.
• Having been offered in writing and free of charge, Hepatitis B vaccination.
• Having a way to property package, transport, and dispose of contaminants in medical waste.
If you or your employer has not completed everything on this list, the law states that you are not allowed to be exposed to blood or bodily fluids to fulfill any work duties. Violation of this law can result in severe fines and even imprisonment.